wildlife photography through the lens of an animator

Monday, October 5, 2009

Photographic memory: Shining Bronze-Cuckoo [or more likely Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo]

I had only a brief encounter with these cute (apart from the fact that they are parasites) Cuckoos around Christmas 2008. They are young birds and I think they are both Shining Bronze-Cuckoos, but am not 100% sure. The first one was photographed very near a Pardalote family house. The second one was extremely elusive, hiding behind branches all the time. The image quality of the photos is below the average for this bloG, but as I don't think I will get better images of this species soon I decided to post them anyway.

edit: 6 Oct 2009 I received an email from a visitor with a suggestion that the birds are more likely to be Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoos. I had some hesitation identifying them as the photos don't look quite the same as the illustrations in my field guide. Thank you, Amelia!
Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo, Tasmania
click on a photo to view hi-res image :: click on a label to open all related posts