wildlife photography through the lens of an animator

Monday, December 7, 2009

Cicada Madness in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park

A walk in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park yesterday coincided with one of those natural events that impress me very much – a full-on Cicada concert. Thousands of Cicadas were buzzing continuously in perfect sync. There must have been several different species with several distinct 'melodies', but I know too little about insects and Wikipedia doesn't provide much info either. (It's still well worth reading about the Cicada species in general.) I recorded several minutes of audio, but the quality of these recordings is pretty bad. Still I decided to post a short part of them, just to give at least some vague idea about this amazing experience.
Well... I may be completely wrong, but these sounds give me an idea what the Didgeridoo sounds like. For me, it's at least partially based on those wild Cicada audio vibrations.

I'm not equipped for insect photos either. The images below were taken with my 300mm lens, which meant I had to step a meter and a half away to be able to focus the bugs....
I'm not too sure about the IDs, so if you think there's something wrong with them being labeled as Redeye Cicada (Psaltoda moerens), please let me know either in comments or in an email. Thanks!
Cicadas in Ku-ring-gai Chase NP, NSW
click on a photo to view hi-res image :: click on a label to open all related posts

4 comments:

  1. You've left your comments on this time - don't know if you meant to or not but it gives me a chance to say that I am still enjoying your photos and please keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nickolay!
    Great photos, even if you had to stand back a bit.
    I'm still enjoying your posts!
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dave!
    Always great to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete