wildlife photography through the lens of an animator

Sunday, May 9, 2021

Melons

Together with the Quokka, Tasmanian Pademelons are among the cutest marsupials.

I spot them quite often when I walk through the gully, but photographing them is not easy. Almost always they disappear quickly in the thick shrubs. The gully is always shady and quite dark and my old camera struggles to expose well even at high ISO.

But a few times I've had magical moments when a mother 'melon would let me stay close while she feeds and her joey hops around totally unafraid of my presence.

And here is a Bandicoot.
It just appeared out of nowhere, while I was quietly photographing a wallaby. Walked quickly past me, sniffing under the fallen leaves. A minute later it had already disappeared.
It was so great to see a Bandicoot during the day.

Above: Tasmanian Pademelon, Southern Brown Bandicoot, Tasmania
click on a photo to view hi-res image :: click on a label to open all related posts